This post may contain affiliate links.
Homemade Butter is so easy to make, I do not understand why people do not do it more often! All you need is heavy cream, a glass jar with a lid and marbles. But you do not need the marbles it just helps speed up the process, so no need to go buy any. This is also a great science experiment for the kids. They will love seeing how this work and they can even get in on the action and help shake.
Once the butter has formed be sure to pour off the buttermilk. I like to keep the buttermilk for future recipes. Rinse the Homemade Butter of any buttermilk so it does not go rancid to quick. Homemade Butter does not keep well for a long time because there is no preservatives, but it will keep for a couple days kept in the fridge. Be sure to try this recipe for Homemade Butter you will love the taste!
How to Make Homemade Butter in 10 minutes! Fun Activity for kids!
- 1 quart heavy cream
- glass jar with lid
- marbles optional
- Fill your jar about half way with cream.
- If using marbles drop them in.
- Put the lid on tightly and shake.
- Keep shaking until you have a clump form and butter milk has separated (about 10 minutes).
- Pour off buttermilk (keep in container for recipes) and rinse the butter.
- Store and use within a week.