Homemade Scalloped Potatoes are the perfect potato side dish for most meals. This recipe is so easy to prepare and is absolutely delicious! It always seems as if we never have leftovers of this dish. It doesn't get better than Homemade Scalloped Potatoes. This is a great recipe for holiday's and Easter. I like to serve it with Ham.
- 4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper optional
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated cheese to sprinkle on top
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter and blend in flour.
- Let sit for a minute.
- Add all of cold milk, stirring with a whisk.
- Season with salt, black pepper and cayenne.
- Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
- Reduce heat and stir in 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Place half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased one quart casserole dish.
- Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes.
- Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on top.
- Top with some paprika for color.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350°F.
Be sure to check out these other Side Dish recipes:
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.