I want to share with you how to make a beaded bracelet. Making your own jewelry is perfect for Frugal Gift Giving. This bracelet would make an excellent Christmas or birthday gift.
For those of you who didn’t know I used to own my own jewelry business called MJennings Designs, LLC. Just last night I said to my husband it feels “nice” to not be beading like crazy during the holiday season. However, it did make me think of how when I started beading what a stress reliever it was. I thought I would share with you a few basics on how to make a beaded bracelet as it is very frugal to make your own handmade gifts. Not only frugal but there is something very special about getting a gift from someone that they made for you.
To make a beaded bracelet you need the following supplies:
Bead Stringing Wire – I suggest using Soft Touch or Soft Flex – Test Strength 26 lbs. Medium – all purpose wire, .19 in Diameter and 49 strands
A variety of beads of your choice – I love working with Swarovski Crystal and Sterling Silver
4 crimp beads (I use 2 on each end)
And the following tools: Crimper, wire cutters and flat nose pliers.
1. First you need to measure your wrist or estimate for the recipients wrist. The average bracelet is 7″ finished. You will need to allow 3 additional inches of wire for a 7″ bracelet. So you would cut 10″ of wire.
2. Next string your beads on the wire. Beading 6 inches of beads and allowing approximately 1 inch for the toggle clasp.
3. Finally you are going to slip on your crimp beads on each end of the wire as well as your toggle and bar.
4. Using your Flat Nose Pliers pull your wire through the crimp beads and toggle and pull your wire through at least 2 beads.
5. Make sure that you have some slack in the strand.
5. Crimp your crimp beads tightly. I use 2 for “insurance” Use the lower hole on your crimping tool, press to close the crimp bead and that is what “holds” your beads onto the wire.
6. Clip off any remaining wire.
Now you have the perfect gift for someone special on your list. By making your own jewelry you can save yourself so much money. Be sure to check out this How to make your own bracelet tutorial if you are considering beaded bracelets as gifts.
I suggest purchasing supplies at Michael’s using coupons or through BlueMud.com.