Here are some tips on how to roast a turkey. I think that it is easy to be scared of roasting turkey's because it is easy to cook a dry bird however I can honestly say that I roasted my first one at age 19! Don't be afraid to give it a try for your family.
This past weekend we visited my Mother In Law and she made turkey dinner for us since we are unable to travel again on the actual holiday. It was so nice to have Thanksgiving twice this year 🙂 I thought it was the perfect time for this post!
How-To Roast Turkey - Roasting Hints & Tips:
1. Use a shallow and sturdy turkey roasting pan. I do not suggest a disposable pan. It is best to invest in a nice quality roasting pan.
2. Roast your turkey breast side down on a v-shaped rack until the last hour then flip it to allow for browning. Rub the skin with butter to help with the browning process. Add 1 cup of chicken broth to the bottom of the roasting pan to help keep the turkey moist before baking. More than 1 cup may reduce the quality of your browning.
3. Make a tent out of aluminum foil to prevent over-browning. This can be at the beginning and then remove for the last hour.
4. Let your turkey "rest" after it cooks. Lightly tent with aluminum foil and allow it to rest for 30 minutes before you carve.
5. Another option is to use a turkey roasting bag. I have done that in the past and it really is an easy way to ensure it to be moist. Follow the directions on the package if you choose to use this method.