Lemon Poppy seed are one of my favorite muffins. The boys are not that crazy about them but my husband and I love them. I think they are great for breakfast or an afternoon snack with some tea. If I'm going to a brunch these are perfect to make ahead of time and travel well in a tin or container.
For this recipe you will need yogurt and I used yogurt that I had frozen and then thawed. Be sure to check out this post - Can you FREEZE yogurt? You are going to love these delicious Lemon Poppyseed Muffins!
- ½ cup sweet creamy butter softened
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs separated
- 1 ⅓ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 lemons zest of, grated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Beat well after each.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating two times with the yogurt, then lemon juice, and then vanilla.
- Beat just until smooth.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold them into the muffin batter until blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, ¾-full.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely.
- I sometimes sprinkle the muffin mixture with sugar prior to putting in the oven just to add a little extra sweetness.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy:
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.