Refrigerator Bran Muffins are my favorite go to healthy breakfast treat! You can mix this batter up in a bowl and then place it in your refrigerator and bake them fresh each morning. The batter can be kept tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I like to mix this on Sunday and then bake fresh hot muffins Monday – Friday for my family before work and school.
Merle’s Bran Muffins comes from my Mom’s childhood friend Patty Davis. She named these muffins for her mother-in-law, Merle who loved and requested them often in her last years of life! Thanks so much for sharing them with us. They are delicious! I love that you can make them fresh each morning too!
Merle’s Bran Muffins
- 3 cups All Bran® cereal
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups sugar can reduce a bit
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2½ cups flour half of this can be wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt can reduce a bit
- 2½ teaspoon baking soda
- Oats for sprinkling on top
- Pour boiling water over 1 cup of bran cereal and set it aside. Cream the sugar and vegetable oil in large bowl. Add eggs and beat well. Add buttermilk and scalded bran cereal. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to liquid mixture. Stir in remaining bran cereal. Cover, and let stand in the refrigerator over night.
- When ready to bake, stir batter, then spoon into greased or paper lined muffin tins (1/2 to 3/4 full) and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. (Sprinkle with oats prior to baking, if desired.)
- Note: Batter may be kept in tightly covered plastic or glass container in refrigerator for up to 5 days. My Pampered Chef 8-cup glass bowl works great for this!
- Yield: 24 - 30 regular size muffins
- *I always use half wheat flour. Start checking the muffins at 15 minutes. If the muffins brown too much - they’re too dry to suit me.
Other posts you may enjoy: