This is my Mom's homemade vegetable soup recipe. This is something that she made all the time when I was growing up and I make often. When I think of comfort food this is it for me. There is nothing better than a warm bowl of vegetable soup on a cold winter day. In fact as soon as it gets cool this is the first recipe that I like to make!
It is so easy to make too! In a large skillet brown 1 pound of ground beef and 1 onion. Drain the fat. Next add all the ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours. It is that simple! I like to brown my ground beef and onion prior to adding to the the slow cooker. I like to serve Mom's Homemade Vegetable Soup with Sugar Cornbread.
If you want to prepare this as a freezer meal simply brown your ground beef and onion and drain the fat. Next add all of your ingredients except the V-8 juice to a gallon size freezer bag and freeze. When you are ready to cook simply thaw in the refrigerator overnight and place into the slow cooker with your V-8 juice. Cook on low for 4-6 hours and enjoy!
This is the perfect soup when you are feeling like you need to warm up on a cold day. I love to enjoy a bowl by the fire and every time I eat it I think of my Mom. This is a recipe that I make for Peyton and I hope one day he will make it for his kids. It is just good for the soul. I hope you enjoy Mom's Vegetable Soup as much as we do!
Mom's Vegetable Beef Soup
- 32 oz. canned tomatoes
- 1 lb ground beef turkey or chicken
- 1 whole onion diced
- 1 48 ounce can of V-8 juice
- 1 can broth beef or chicken
- 1 large bag of frozen veggies
- 1 package Lipton onion soup mix
- 7 whole red potatoes peeled and diced into fairly large pieces
- 1 can brown beans optional
- In a large skillet brown 1 pound of ground beef and 1 onion.
- Drain the fat.
- Add all ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.