If you love fall and all things Pumpkin then you are going to love this Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Recipe. It is simply AMAZING! It is perfect on a crisp Autumn weekend or really any day of the week. I think it would be perfect for Thanksgiving morning too! Serve with a cup of coffee or a pumpkin spice latte and you have the perfect treat! You can even make your own Pumpkin Pie Spice for this recipe too.
I will admit this Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls Recipe takes a bit of time but it is worth it in the end. I adapted this recipe from my co-worker Barbara Hacker, who taught me so much before her passing. I think of her every time that I make these for my family and miss her wisdom. I am blessed to have spent my first year of teaching with her as my mentor and because of her influence she really helped guide me as a teacher and in life. Before her passing we shared some time together and I know she is looking down on me smiling as I made these in her honor.
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- 1/4 cup warm water 100 degrees F
- 1 .25 ounce package active dry yeast
- 1 5 ounce can evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 15 ounce can Organic pumpkin (reserve 2 TBSP for glaze)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 5 cups all-purpose flour or more if needed
- 1/4 cup melted butter + 2 TBSP butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- Pour warm water into a large mixing bowl, and sprinkle yeast over the water.
- Allow to stand until the yeast begins to foam, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in evaporated milk, granulated sugar, pumpkin, olive oil, and egg. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice, then add about 5 cups of flour, or as needed to make a stiff dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch but will not stick to your hands.
- Form the dough into a ball, place into an oiled bowl, cover with a cloth, and let rise on top of the pre-heated oven for about 45 minutes. (The dough will rise, but it won't double.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Punch down the dough, and roll it out to a rectangle shape on a floured surface until it measures approximately 18 inches wide and 26 inches long.
- Brush the dough with 1/4 cup melted butter.
- Mix 1 1/4 cup brown sugar with 2 tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl, and sprinkle the mixture evenly over the dough.
- Roll up the dough the vertically, and pinch the seam closed, then cut the dough into 12 equal-sized pieces with a sharp knife or with unwaxed dental floss.
- Melt 2 TBSP butter into the bottom of the pie plate and combine with 1/4 cup brown sugar to form a caramel.
- Lay the rolls into the prepared baking dish.
- Allow the rolls to rise covered with a towel on top of the pre-heated over for 30 minutes
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
- While the rolls are baking, combine vanilla extract, cream cheese, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, confectioners' sugar, 2 TBSP Pumpkin and milk together to make a glaze.
- Turn cinnamon rolls out (Caramel will be on top) and then drizzle the glaze over the rolls as soon as they come out of the oven.