Shel's Accidental Tex-Mex Dinner recipe was a total mishap but it turns out to be one of my husband's favorites!! A couple of weeks ago we strayed from the menu because we were so wanting Chicken and Noodles. So I put a split chicken in the crock pot in 2.5 cups of water and cooked it all night on low!! It smelled so good!!
The next morning I was up shredding and picking the bones out of the chicken! That is when the phone rang and we received a dinner invitation we could not refuse! So I put a Ziploc bag of shredded chicken in the frig!! The next day, I wanted to make sure I used the chicken...and that is how Shel's Accidental Tex Mex Dinner was born and it is so so EASY!!! A TOTAL ACCIDENT WE LOVE!!!!
Shel's Accidental Tex-Mex Dinner
- 1 lb Split Chicken Breast
- 2 cans RoTel Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 1 can Green Enchilada sauce
- 2 cans refried beans
- 1 bag Kraft Mexican Cheese
- 1 container Sour Cream
- 1 bottle Hidden Valley Spicy Ranch
- 1 package Santa Fe Rice
- Cook the Split Chicken on low in a crock pot with 2.5 cups of water. (I usually do it overnight, which is 8-10 hours, just easier for me, but you can adjust times)
- De-bone chicken and shred, put in Ziploc in Frig until you are ready to make dinner.
- In a large pan, warm chicken, 2 cans of Rotel Tomatoes with green chilies (DRAINED), and Green Enchilada Sauce. and Preheat oven to 350.
- While you are warming chicken mixture, also be warming refried beans.
- Make Santa Fe Rice (I use Uncle Bens)
- When everything is warm and ready to serve, layer refried beans on 4 tortillas, add chicken mixture, and add cheese.
- Put Wrapped tortillas in the oven until the outside is slightly crisp.
- Drizzle heated Spicy Ranch over the tortillas
- Add Sour Cream on top
- Serve with Santa Fe Rice
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.