During the height of covid I was looking around for things to do in Kentucky! We have traveled but with the new variants we decided to go to drivable destinations. I randomly came across this amazing hidden gem in our home state of Kentucky! Sheltowee Trace Adventure Resort is a true adventure located near the Boone National Forest and the amazing Cumberland Falls!
There were so many things we enjoyed about this camping adventure but I think our favorite was sleeping in a unique Old West style covered wagon! This was something that I never really thought about. The experience was fun for our boys and we loved it too! I know you are wondering how we fit in this covered wagon so I wanted to share all about it.
Sheltowee Trace Adventure Resort Covered Wagon Camping
- Unique Old West style covered wagon. They say up to 6 can stay but that would be really crowded. We slept 5 very comfortable!
- Has electricity, and a small AC/ heating unit. The wagons do not have running water.
- The Wagons do not have water. It is a short walk to the restrooms and bath hall!
- 1 King bed, twin bunk bed and a trundle bed inside the wagon.
- Outside picnic table and charcoal grill provided.
- All bed linens are provided.
- There are several outlets in the wagon.
Other Lodging at Sheltowee Trace Adventure Resort
- StarFalls Cabin
- Couples Cabins
- Rustic Cabins
- RV Camping
- Tent Camping
- Group Camping
There are so many things we loved about this resort! The activities are endless and there are so many adventures nearby! Our boys went zipling while we were there. We had one who had never done it before and the short zipline was fun for him. I enjoyed being able to book activates through the resort.
Activities you can book at Sheltowee Trace Adventure Resort
****Most of the activities are not offered on resort property and are a short drive or ride from the resort. Subject to change at any time.
- Look at Cumberland Falls close up! Take one of the amazing tours of the falls. Whether by canoe, paddleboard, or Kayak you will enjoy these roaring falls!
- Whitewater river Rafting (Mid-may through October)
- Canoeing and Kayaking
- Stand up Paddleboards
- Cumberland Star Riverboat
- Climbing Wall
- Daniel Boone National Forest Electric Bike Tour
- Gem Mining
- Corcl Rentals
- Spring Whitewater Rafting at Big South Fork
- Bear Creek Whitewater Rafting (April through May)
- Bear Creek WhitewaterDuckie Trip (summer)
- Tubing on Big South Fork River - We did this adventure. The trip to the River is about 1.5 hours. We still wanted to enjoy this adventure. They even took their fishing poles. So glad we didn't lost one! Fishing pole that is! We did this the first day and went to the resort after. This trip starts and ends at the Blue Heron Mine Interpretive area. It is a partially restored mining town and it was very interesting. You can walk around and look at everything on a self guided tour.
- Tubing on the Cumberland River - This tubing adventure is only available when the river levels are low.
We really enjoyed this end of summer adventure! Make sure you check out Sheltowee Trace Adventure Resort and make your reservations today! It fills up fast! They usually start taking reservations in December for the following year! I hope you enjoy this adventure as much as we did!
OTHER KENTUCKY TRAVEL DESTINATIONS
Visit Natural Bridge - I may never get to see the 7 wonders of the world, but I did get to see the wonder of Kentucky! If you get the chance, you really need to Visit Natural Bridge located in Slade, Kentucky. We are a hiking family and we had never been to this area.
Road Trip to Rabbit Hash - Step Back in a moment in time! The town is notable for its name, its string of canine mayors, and its historic general store which was largely destroyed by fire in 2016.
Flat Lick Falls - There is nothing more beautiful in Kentucky than Flat Lick Falls. We went to visit this waterfall and had a great time. It is a hidden gem in Jackson County, Kentucky.
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.