This Slow Cooker Orange Chicken with Butternut Squash is fresh and light and is the perfect freezer meal for fall. I love the flavor of the citrus! The citrus paired with the chicken and butternut squash is a great combination. I like to serve this with roasted potatoes or riced cauliflower. If you are eating Whole30 just eliminate the honey and if you are eating Paleo this is approved! This recipe is also naturally gluten free too. Best of all it is tasty and healthy. Clean Eating is a great way to eat and this recipe fits the bill.
Be sure that you invest in a good quality slow cooker. Our favorite is this programmable cook and carry 6qt oval slow cooker. You can adjust this recipe to feed your family using 4-6 pieces of meat. I personally use 4 to feed my family of 3 with a leftovers for lunch the next day. I use 2 lbs of chicken in my recipe but you can adjust between 4-6 cuts of chicken. I enjoy using chicken thighs because we find them tender and moist.
Tip – cut your butternut squash into large cubes so it doesn’t break down or get too soft while cooking. You can also substitute sweet potato if you want. I think even a mix of the two would be nice. This recipe is perfect for fall.
Slow Cooker Paleo Orange Chicken
- 4-6 boneless chicken breasts or boneless skinless thighs I used 2 lbs
- 1 cup fresh squeezed Orange Juice 100% orange juice - no sugar added
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1 lb cubed butternut squash
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 TBSP honey raw
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 fresh orange sliced - added when you cook
- salt and pepper optional
- Salt and pepper both sides of your chicken.
- Place all ingredients into a freezer safe bag and freeze.
- When ready to cook thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Place into a slow cooker and add sliced orange. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
I hope your family enjoys this meal as much as mine did! I served this Slow Cooker Paleo Orange Chicken recipe with green beans and roasted potatoes. It was a crowd pleaser for sure. Slow Cooker Orange Chicken with Butternut Squash is a light and fresh freezer meal that the whole family will enjoy.