Southwestern Beer Batter Fish is a great dish for lent or any day! I love the Green Chile Tartar Sauce. It really kicks up the flavor.
Southwestern Beer-Batter Fish with Green Chile Tartar Sauce
- Tartar Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons from 4.5-oz can Old El Paso® chopped green chiles, drained
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- Vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups Original Bisquick® mix
- 1 lb tilapia fillets about 1/2 inch thick, cut into 4 serving pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup regular or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 egg
- 1 small lemon cut into quarters
- In small bowl, mix sauce ingredients. Refrigerate until serving.
- In 10-inch skillet or deep fryer, heat oil (1 1/2 inches) to 350°F. In shallow dish, place 1/4 cup of the Bisquick mix. Lightly coat fish with Bisquick mix.
- In medium bowl, beat remaining 1 cup Bisquick mix, the chili powder, salt, beer and egg with wire whisk until smooth. Dip fish into batter, letting excess drip into dish.
- Fry fish in oil 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown; drain on paper towels. Serve with sauce and lemon quarters.
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.