Venison Chili is such a healthy, good for you recipe. My family loves to hunt and with hunting comes lots of deer meat. One of my favorites is ground deer meat because I can make lots of chili with it, which is my favorite. Because deer meat is so low in fat that sometimes it can be hard to cook with. But when you make it in a chili or soup and let it simmer all day it is quite good.
My aunt lives on a lot of country land so her son and husband hunt and are able to provide meat every year. She just made her first pot of Venison Chili and hers is so delicious. She uses a recipe that her father (my Papaw) taught her. In all these years she has never strayed away from it and it is perfect every time.
Venison Chili is a great low fat, healthy recipe!
- 2 lbs of ground venison
- 1 package Buena Vida chili powder or your favorite
- 2 cans light kidney beans 16 oz cans
- 1 can tomato paste 6 oz can
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz can
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- dash hot pepper flakes use desired amount
- Brown the meat (use a little olive oil as venison is low in fat).
- Once meat is browned; add green pepper & onion, cook until onion is translucent.
- Add chili powder and brown for a bit, do not scorch.
- Then dump in a pot and add tomato paste, tomatoes & kidney beans.
- Add just shy of a full can of water for each can you just added.
- Sprinkle with hot pepper flakes to your taste.
- Heat to boiling.
- Then turn down to simmer and place lid on.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or longer.
- Add more or less water depending on how you like it.
More Chili Recipes
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.