I am so excited to share this recipe for Home Canned Bread and Butter Pickles today on the blog. I am swimming in a sea of cucumbers this year from my garden. My good high school friend Crystal shared her recipe with me for Home Canned Bread and Butter Pickles and I just couldn’t wait to try it myself. I have to say that I am in love with this recipe! If you have never canned I would suggest picking up a copy of the Ball Canning Book. It is the bible when it comes to canning. I was given a copy by my neighbor in 2010 and I love this book. It is full of great tips and ticks for canning.
Be sure to read about head space and proper techniques for canning. When you find yourself in a sea of cucumbers this recipe is a sure way to use them and you will be prepared for the winter months by having your own Home Canned Bread and Butter Pickles. I say roll up your sleeves, crank the music and get to canning!
Home Canned Bread and Butter Pickles
- 4 pounds - 4 to 6 inch in length cucumbers, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 pounds onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup canning salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 3 cups vinegar
- Combine cucumber and onion slices in a large bowl, layering with salt cover with ice.
- Let stand 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain, rinse, drain again.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large saucepot; bring to a boil.
- Add drained cucumbers and onions and return to a boil.
- Pack hot pickles and liquid into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles.
- Adjust two piece caps.
- Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.
- Allow 4-6 weeks to cure and develop best flavor.