I am a southern girl who loves grits! My grits are always buttery and have sugar on them 🙂 That's why I call them Buttery Grits!
Buttery Grits are a southern tradition. You can get any better with a slice of country ham!
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more for seasoning
- 1 cup old-fashioned grits
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter cubed
- ¾ cup heavy cream divided
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- Bring 4 cups salted water to a boil in a medium pot.
- Slowly add the grits, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and partially cover.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover the pot and stir in the butter, sugar and 3 tablespoons of the cream.
- Continue to stir, adding the remaining cream, a few tablespoons at a time, until the mixture thickens and begins to sputter slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Taste and add more sugar, if desired.
Other recipes you may enjoy:
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.