California Cream Cheese Sushi Roll is my all time favorite to enjoy. I am so lucky that my husband loves sushi as much as me and that we can enjoy eating sushi together. I attended a Sushi Making Party last month and was excited to learn how to make it.
I couldn't believe how easy it is! If you love sushi then you need to give this a try. By making Sushi at home you can save yourself a ton of money too!
Did you know that you can freeze cream cheese? It works great and saves money! I like to purchase cream cheese in bulk on sale and stockpile it for recipes. Check out this post Can You Freeze Cream Cheese to find out how! It is a great money saving tip for this recipe.
California - Cream Cheese Sushi Roll
- 1 cup uncooked short-grain white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 8 sheets nori dry seaweed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 whole cucumber cut into thin spears
- 2 whole carrots cut into thin spears
- 2 whole avocados - pitted peeled, and sliced the long way
- 1/2 cup imitation crabmeat finely chopped
- 1 block cream cheese cut into long strips about 1/4 inch thick
- Wash the rice in several changes of water until the rinse water is no longer cloudy, drain well, and place in a covered pan or rice cooker with 1 cup water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cover the pan.
- Allow the rice to simmer until the top looks dry, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and let stand for 10 minutes to absorb the rest of the water.
- Mix the rice vinegar and sugar in a small bowl until the sugar has dissolved, and stir the mixture into the cooked rice until well combined.
- Allow the rice to cool, and set aside.
- To roll the sushi, cover a bamboo rolling mat with plastic wrap or ziploc bag.
- Lay a sheet of nori, shiny side down, on the plastic wrap or on the ziploc bag.
- With wet fingers, firmly pat a thin, even layer of prepared rice over the nori, leaving 1/4 inch uncovered at the bottom edge of the sheet.
- Sprinkle the rice with about 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds, and gently press them into the rice.
- Carefully flip the nori sheet over so the seaweed side is up or if you want the nori on the outside leave it as it is.
- Place 1 long strip of cream cheese about 1/4 inch thick along the seam, 2 or 3 long cucumber spears, 2 or 3 carrot spears, 2 or 3 slices of avocado, and about 1 tablespoon of imitation crab in a line across the nori sheet, about 1/4 from the uncovered edge.
- Pick up the edge of the bamboo rolling sheet, fold the bottom edge of the sheet up, enclosing the filling, and tightly roll the sushi into a cylinder about 1 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Once the sushi is rolled, wrap it in the mat and gently squeeze to compact it tightly.
- Cut each roll into 1 inch pieces with a very sharp knife dipped in water.
Here are some Clean Eating recipes that you may enjoy:
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.