Chocolate Gravy is a very Southern recipe passed to me from my Mother-in-Law. She made this for my husband growing up for a special treat. It is similar to the consistency of pudding and served over biscuits. It is one of my husbands favorites to this day. I suggest everyone enjoys it at least once in their lives. Once you give it a try you will either fall madly in love or it won’t be your thing. If you don’t love it we would be surprised.
It doesn’t get more Southern than Chocolate Gravy for breakfast! Yes, really it is a thing.
- 2 Tablespoons lard or crisco
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 Tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt optional
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- Melt lard or crisco in skillet.
- While melting, mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl; add milk and 1/2 cup water. Pour into skillet and let cook until thick on medium/high heat. add vanilla and butter. Stil until melted. Should be thick like pudding/gravy.
- Serve over biscuits or waffles.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy: