These scrumptious Dr Pepper Chocolate Cupcakes taste amazing! They do not actually taste like Dr Pepper but the soda does add a nice rich flavor to the chocolate cake mix. Also by using the soda with the cake mix you can cut the calories in half by not using the eggs, oil and water that the cake mix calls for. To get started you will need a box of chocolate cake mix. I used Devil’s Food cake mix because that is what I had in my stockpile. Next you will need 12 ounces of Dr Pepper.
Mix together the cake mix and soda in medium size bowl. Mix well for 3 minutes on medium speed. Once done mixing let the batter sit for 2 minutes before pouring into the lined cupcake/muffin pan. Put in the oven and bake according to your package directions. Let cool completely before frosting the cupcakes.
For my frosting I used one can of Kroger vanilla frosting along with 6 drops of red food coloring and 4 drops of almond extract. Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Next pipe the frosting onto your Dr Pepper Chocolate Cupcakes and serve!
Dr Pepper Chocolate Cupcakes
Dr Pepper Chocolate Cupcakes are amazing! Only 3 ingredients needed in this delicious dessert!
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- 12 oz Dr Pepper
- 1 can of vanilla frosting
- red food coloring
- almond extract
- Preheat oven according to cake mix package directions(usually 350 degrees).
- In a medium size bowl mix together cake mix and soda together on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and spray with no stick cooking spray.
- Fill each muffin tin 2/3 full with cake batter.
- Bake according to package directions(usually 18-22 minutes).
- Cool completely on cooling racks.
In a small bowl add vanilla frosting, 6 drops of red food coloring and 4 drops of almond extract; mix well.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
- Serve and enjoy!
More Cupcake Recipes
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.