I am so excited for this Gluten Free Tortilla Soup! I have not had tortilla soup since I became Gluten Free and it is one of my favorites. A tasty, spicy soup that's perfect for cool Spring evenings. You are really going to fall in love with this delicious soup.
I like to serve it with Homemade Guacamole. You can make your own tortilla crisps to put on top of the soup or purchase them at the store. Just be sure they are marked gluten free! My family always requests I double this recipe because it is so good!
Gluten Free Tortilla Soup
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 15 oz can Organic Tomato Sauce
- 1 6 oz can Organic Tomato Paste
- 1 bunch green onions diced
- 2 14.5 oz cans of low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1 small jalapeno pepper with seeds minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 whole Hass avocado mashed
- 1 lime Juiced
- 6 white corn tortillas
- canola cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine cumin and cayenne pepper and rub on chicken breasts.
- Bake chicken breasts in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Mash avocado in bowl and squeeze in juice from ½ of lime; stir to combine. Set aside.
- Cut tortillas into strips. Lay them out on a cookie sheet and spray liberally with canola spray. Put in 400 degree oven for about 5-7 minutes; until crisp and golden brown. Set aside.
- Cut up cooked chicken into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Bring broth, tomato sauce and paste, with the jalapeno to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Stir to be sure tomato paste gets blended in properly. Reduce heat to medium and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and the green onions; simmer 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add cilantro and the 2 Tbsp of lime juice.
- Top soup with tortilla strips and mashed avocado and serve.
Gluten Free Recipes:
Rachel is the mother of a son with Autism. She and her family began eating a gluten-free, casein-free diet in November 2011. Not long after, she discovered that she too was intolerant of gluten and has happily enjoyed discovering new ways to find delicious ways to enjoy eating a gfcf diet. Please visit her blog to learn more.