Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is a staple in Hawaii with the plate lunch. A plate lunch usually consists of meat, rice and scoop of this delicious macaroni salad. What makes this pasta salad different from the traditional ones we make here is that the mayo based dressing is thinned with milk and the pasta is cooked very soft so that it can absorb the dressing. This Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is perfect for potlucks and BBQ's because you can make it ahead of time and just grab it as you go out the door!
I like to make this scrumptious Hawaiian Macaroni Salad and eat on it with my lunch throughout the week or take it to the pool with me. I believe it is the perfect summer pasta salad. Everyone is always asking for the recipe, which by the way I originally got from my sister in law, Alicia. She likes to make this salad and take it with her in the camper when they go on camping trips. Be sure to try Hawaiian Macaroni Salad this summer, you will not be disappointed!
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups whole or 2% milk divided (skim or 1% is just too thin)
- 2 cups real mayonnaise ideally Hellmann's, divided
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 stems green onions thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot peeled & grated
- 1 stalk stalk minced
- dash Salt & pepper to taste
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil.
- Add 1 Tbsp salt and the macaroni; cook until VERY soft, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and return to pot; add the cider vinegar and toss until absorbed.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together 1 1/2 cups of the milk, 1 cup of the mayonnaise, the brown sugar, 1/2 tsp of salt and 2 tsp pepper.
- Once the cooked pasta has cooled for 10 minutes, whisk in the dressing.
- Let cool completely.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup milk and 1 cup of mayonnaise, along with the scallions, carrot and celery.
- Stir to combine, then season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Chill for at least one hour before serving.
More Salad Recipes You May Enjoy:
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.