Here are some great Helpful Tips when Cooking with a Crockpot. As most of you know I just love using my crockpots. I use them for dinner meals, side dishes and even dessert. If I can make a recipe in the slow cooker than I am a happy girl. With having 3 boys and my husband I am constantly on the go and super busy. Using my crockpots helps save me time in the kitchen that I can spend with my family. But I haven't always been good at using my slow cookers and have learned some lessons along the way.
Here are some tips that I hope will help you when using your slow cookers! If you didn't know these they will blow your mind!
One great tip I have learned is to make foil balls and place in the bottom of your slow cooker when preparing chicken. I love to roast whole chickens in the slow cooker. By using this method it helps raise the chicken and the bottom will not be soaking in the juices from the chicken. You can also use this method for turkey breasts, roasts and steaks.
Crockpot Do's and Don'ts
1) Do not take the lid off. It's very important to not remove during cooking because the recipes rely on the moisture and heat to cook. So if you are tempted to peek in or stir - do not do it!
3) When you are using a new crockpot be sure to check on it. Every crockpot cooks different than others. Even someone like me who uses crockpots all the time, I will still check on the recipes about 2 hours before they are suppose to be done to make sure they are not cooking too fast or have hot spots.
4) A lot of recipes do not specify what size crockpot to use. Try to use the best guess. I will usually go with a 5 qt for most recipes if it is not indicated. Look at the recipes and decide how much room you think you will need.
5) Some flavorings such as spices and herbs can lose their flavor if added to early. Try to add these in at the end of the cooking time.
6) Do not let the food cool down in the crockpot, remove to containers and let cool. Then properly store in the refrigerator or freeze.
7) If your power goes out during the day and you have no clue how long your crockpot was out, throw your food out. Do not take the chance of eating it.
8) Do not crowd around your crockpot. Make sure it is away from the wall and nothing is touching the sides. The crcokpot gets very hot while heating.
Be sure to check out these great Crockpot Recipes we have :
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.