Hoppin John Recipe is a traditional New Year's Day meal for my family. Have you ever heard of it? It is suppose to be that those of the southern states if they eat Hoppin John on New Year’s Day is supposed to bring those who eat it a year of good luck and prosperity. I know I can use that!
The black-eyed peas are thought to symbolize pennies or coins, and a coin is sometimes left under the bowls of peas. You’re supposed to also eat Hoppin John with collard greens, chard, kale, cabbage…basically any greens. Because they are suppose to add wealth since they are the color of money. You can also serve with cornbread since it is the color of gold, which is what we do in my family.
Hoppin' John Recipe
Hoppin John Recipe is a traditional New Year's Day meal for my family. It is suppose to bring good luck and prosperity to those who eat it!
- 1/2 lb. kielbasa sausage
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- 2 whole garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 pound dried black-eyed peas about 2 cups
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning, heaping
- dash Salt to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 bunch Green Onions for garnish
- Slowly cook the sausage in a medium pot over medium-low heat.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the celery, onion, and green pepper and sauté until they begin to brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the black-eyed peas, bay leaf, and seasonings.
- Cover with 4 cups of chicken broth.
- Cook for 30 minutes to an hour, or longer if needed, until the peas are tender.
- While the peas are cooking, cook the rice separately according to package instructions.
- When the peas are done, drain out the remaining cooking water.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Taste the peas for salt and add more if needed.
- Add in the rice.
- Serve along side greens (collard greens, kale, or spinach).
- Garnish with chopped green onions.
More New Year's Day Recipes
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.