This post may contain affiliate links.
Continuing with our How To Freezer Cook Series, I am most often asked, What foods can you freeze? The answer is you can freeze any food or beverage. With that being said, you need to know that the quality may or may not be as good as before freezing. If I got the product for FREE or near free I never hesitate to give it a try. I am not out anything and generally speaking most things come out “edible”. There are some items that I would not serve to guests but are fine for “family”. You know what I mean? I always put out the best for my guests but sometimes I serve leftovers to my family.
- Flash freeze foods to protect them from freezing into one lump – that means freeze them on a pan (like fruit) and then after frozen place them into a freezer container.
- Freeze ingredients that you use often in small amounts – like chopped onion or green pepper. When you find these on sale purchase and freeze.
- Wrap bread in freezer paper before freezing. Bread bags have tiny holes in the bag which will cause the bread to “stale” after thawed. This tip is worth the effort.
- Mayonnaise does not freeze well (it gets soupy after it is thawed). Do not freeze it.
- Date and label every item before you freeze it. You don’t want to find mystery food in your freezer that you have no idea when you froze it. It is better to be safe than sorry.
I would suggest investing in a foodsaver if you are going to freezer cook. I personally love mine. It is a great way to extend the shelf life of frozen food. They say it extends it by 2 years from the date frozen (according to the manufacturer).
What foods can you freeze?
Tips for Freezer Cooking: