I decided think shake up my traditional stuffed green peppers and create a low carb Italian Stuffed Green Pepper version. My husband LOVED them!
This is a great recipe to freezer cook. I like to prepare them but not bake them and freeze them. I normally make a double batch and we eat them for dinner and I freeze a batch. A great money saving tip is that you can freeze cottage cheese too! Be sure to check it out.
My garden is still swimming in green peppers! The flavor combination was amazing! It is nice low carb recipe too! Be sure to give this tasty recipe a try! You will be happy you did!
A kitchen tip is to use a muffin tin when you bake the Italian Stuffed Green Peppers. It is a great way to keep them standing upright so they don't topple over and spill.
Be sure to give this Italian Stuffed Green Peppers recipe a try. It is a great twist on the classic and has a great flavor profile. It is like spaghetti without all of the carbs. A delicious lean and green meal idea and perfect for summer.
Italian Stuffed Green Peppers
- 1 pound ground beef or ground chicken
- 1/4 cup onions, diced
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup ricotta or cottage cheese
- 12 whole green peppers
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or colby jack
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Sauté onions in some olive oil.
- Brown ground beef or ground chicken.
- Drain grease.
- While ground beef is cooking (or before) prepare and clean 12 green peppers. Remove tops and seeds.
- Bring a pan of water to boil and add peppers. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Return beef back to skillet and add sauce, oregano and garlic.
- Add ricotta cheese to beef mixture.
- Stir and pour into green peppers.
- I placed into a muffin stone to bake (to help stand up). You can use muffin tins as well.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 15 minutes.
- Add cheese on top of peppers and allow to melt for 5 additional minutes.
More Recipes To Enjoy:
Stockpiling Moms can be found in all your favorite places. Hop on over to Instagram and follow the fun. We love posting memes, family fun, travel, and whatever we are feeling that day. Pinterest is also an amazing place to visit Stockpiling Moms. This is where you can pin all your favorite articles from our Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blog.