This post may contain affiliate links.
If you haven’t tried spaghetti squash you should. More importantly if you haven’t had spaghetti squash with taco meat, corn, Rotel, black beans, topped with some cheese….YOU ARE MISSING OUT! When I saw my friend Rye share this on her Facebook page I knew I had to give it a try. She has been on an amazing weight loss journey over the past year and I love watching her go! She said in her own words “This is so dang yummy”! So I thought it was something I better try and better yet share with each of you!
To make this recipe you are going to want to cook your spaghetti squash. Now in my opinion there is no better and easier way to do that but in your slow cooker. If you are short on time though you can always bake it in the oven.
If you choose to bake the squash halves then slice the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out middle. Bake at 400 until you can take a fork to it and it comes out in spaghetti looking noodles. If you choose to cook it in the slow cooker simply pull it out once cooked and slice it half and scoop out the seeds. It takes 25-35 minutes depending on the size of squash in the oven.
Either way you can season once cooked in the slow cooker with little olive oil & garlic & adobo seasoning on it. Prepare your taco meat with the type of ground meat (turkey/chicken/bison/beef) and taco seasoning of your choice. Feel free to make your own using this DIY Taco Seasoning recipe. Once baked scrape all the squash out and then layered ingredients in the “boat” to fill it up.
Make “salsa” with one ear of corn cut of the cob (heat for a couple minutes in the microwave before hand – or use canned), about a half a can of black beans drained, and one can of rotel. Feel free to add more or less to your liking and the addition of fresh cilantro is a great addition.
Layer in the boat start with a little squash then salsa then meat. End with meat & salsa on top. Sprinkle with cheese and put under the low broiler until cheese is melted. You will have extra salsa, squash noodles & meat. I just put it in a container to eat for lunch. Enjoy!
The sky is the limit with this idea! You can easily make an Italian version of this using marinara, ground beef and cheese or you can made an Alfredo version like we did using this recipe.
Spaghetti Squash Taco Boat
Spaghetti Squash Taco Boat is so dang yummy! Your entire family will fall in love with this recipe.
- 1 whole Spaghetti Squash
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Garlic
- 1 tsp Adobo Seasoning
- 1 lb Taco Meat
- 1 can Black Beans
- 1 ear Corn fresh or canned
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 cup Cheese any but we used Colby Jack
- Bake squash halves at 400 until you can take a fork to it and it comes out in spaghetti looking noodles.
- Sprinkle each half with olive oil, garlic and adobo seasoning on it while it bakes.
- It will take 25-35 minutes depending on the size of squash.
- Prepare your taco meat using ground beef/turkey/chicken/bison and package of pre-made taco seasoning (or make your own).
- Scrape all the squash out and then layered ingredients in the “boat” to fill it up. Start with cooked spaghetti squash and then taco meat.
- To make the salsa - mix together corn, black beans (drained) and one can of rotel.
- Layer in the boat start with a little squash then "salsa" then meat. End with meat & salsa on top.
- Sprinkle with cheese and put under the low broiler until cheese is melted. You will have extra salsa, squash noodles & meat. I just put it in a container to eat for lunch the next day.
This is a delicious and filling dinner idea and you will have leftovers for lunch the next day.