Tomatillo Salsa Verde is my kid’s favorite salsa because it’s not too spicy for them. I love to use the salsa on chicken enchiladas, tacos or even just as a dip. It is a great dip to take to parties for an appetizer, in fact I am making this weekend for our Super Bowl Party per my kid’s request. Of course whenever I serve a green salsa that is always a winner with my kids.
This recipe is simple and takes less than 30 minutes to make. You can also make this salsa and freeze it for up to 6 months. We like to serve Tomatillo Salsa Verde with tortilla chips and red pepper slices. Be sure to try this delicious salsa with Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas.
Tomatillo Salsa Verde
Tomatillo Salsa Verde is my kid's favorite salsa because it's not too spicy for them. I love to use the salsa on chicken enchiladas, tacos or even just as a dip.
- 1 pound tomatillos husked
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 whole serrano chile peppers minced or canned
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin more if you want it more spicy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- Place tomatillos, onion, garlic, and chile pepper into a saucepan.
- Season with cilantro, oregano, cumin, and salt; pour in water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the tomatillos are soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Using a blender or vitamix, carefully puree the lime juice, tomatillos and water in batches until smooth. If using a vitamix no need to do in batches.
- Place in an air tight container.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- **Will keel in your refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Mexican Inspired Recipes
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.