I am so excited to share with you this recipe for Vegetarian Sweet Potato & Black Bean Taco Bake.
Fall is time for sweaters. Changing leaves. Crisp mornings.
And orange food. Butternut squash. Pumpkin. Yams. Sweet Potatoes.
Yes, sweet potatoes.
My favorite of the orange foods. It makes an excellent base for all sorts of dishes, particularly casseroles.
This vegetarian recipe pulls together one of my favorite fall foods – sweet potato – with Mexican flavors and a bag of tortilla chips (this recipe works particularly well with the Way Better Snacks Sweet Potato Chips. It takes about 25 minutes to prep and an additional 35 minutes to bake, so it is a great weeknight dinner or an excellent choice for a pot luck contribution.
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Taco Bake
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeño finely diced
- 1 poblano finely diced
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes cut in 1/2" dice
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 15.5 ounce can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream or milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 14- ounce package of Chihuahua Cheese grated (or 2 cups shredded mozarella)
- 1 bag Way Better Snacks Sweet Potato Chips crushed
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the peppers to the skillet and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir until it is evenly distributed, another minute.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes, making sure they are covered in the spices and peppers.
- Add 1/4 of the vegetable stock and stir. As the stock evaporates, add a little more. Keep doing this until the potatoes are soft. It should take about 20 minutes and 1 cup of stock but it might take up to 1 1/2 cups.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees when your potatoes are almost soft.
- Stir in the black beans and turn off the heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and cream. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Spread half of the potato and bean mixture in the bottom of the pan. Top with half the chips and half the cheese.
- Spread the remaining potatoes and beans on top and layer the rest of the chips and cheese on top.
- Pour the cream and egg mixture over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
Gluten Free Recipes: