We are literally swimming in zucchini from our garden and my son loves brownies so today I decided to bake some zucchini brownies for him. They were a big hit! Now my son normally doesn’t like frosting but if he did I think these would be great frosted too.
My son gobbled down the first brownie and didn’t even mention that it tasted different. My husband said there was a slight texture difference (a little more dense) but he enjoyed it and said that it was the best way to eat his veggies that he has had in a LONG time (well of course who doesn’t like veggies covered in chocolate) So I would give this recipe two thumbs up for taste and the fact that you are able to sneak in a vegetable into your families dessert.
On a side note I also decided to bake a box mix and added 2 cups of zucchini to the batter. I baked it in a 9×9 inch pan and baked it for 35 minutes. It was also a huge success with my family. So if you have some box mixes in your pantry you can sneak in a veggie that way too. I like the from scratch recipe because you know what you are putting into your body and it is not processed but I wanted to add this side note as well.
Zucchini Brownies are so yummy and a great way to sneak in a veggie into your families dessert
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup oil or 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2 cups finely shredded zucchini
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips - your choice whole or melted
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 9 baking pan with cooking spray, oil or shortening.
- Combine sugar, eggs, oil, flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl.
- Add cocoa, zucchini (you do not have to pat it dry but you can if you want too), vanilla. Mix until well combined with beaters.
- Stir in the chocolate chips or melt chocolate chips and add (I melted mine because my son doesn't like whole chocolate chips in his brownies).
- Pour brownie batter into pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the brownies are set.
- Cool and cut brownies into squares and serve.
How to make homemade marinara – secret ingredient zucchini