One of our favorite soups to sit down to in the colder months is this Low Fat Chicken Tortilla Soup. Not only is it full of flavor and soothingly warm on those cold days, its low enough in calories and Weight Watchers Points that the serving size is considerably large without sacrificing precious points or calories. Not to mention how simple it is to throw together to simmer on the stove.
Although traditional chicken tortilla soups will be served with fried tortilla’s and cheese, using just a few baked tortilla chips for crunch is plenty to make this “pop”. If you choose to add the traditional sprinkle of cheese make sure to account for it within your points calculations for the day.
Low Fat Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 Pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts boiled & shredded
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 can 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 small Bell Pepper Diced
- 1 small Onion Diced
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 can 20 oz, Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Frozen Whole Kernel Corn
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Bunch Cilantro Chopped separated – reserve half for garnish
- Baked Tortilla Chips for Garnish
- In large stock pot combine chicken broth, water, onion, bell pepper and garlic and bring to a boil.
- Add in chicken and cream of chicken soup stirring until soup has incorporated well.
- Cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Add in tomatoes, corn and seasonings. Continue cooking on medium heat for additional 20-25 minutes.
- Add in cilantro and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garish with baked tortilla chips and cilantro.
- This makes 12 servings and is 3 Weight Watchers Points per serving for soup alone. Additional points for garnish of chips or cheese if desired.
Weight Watchers Recipes: