Peanut Butter Pie
Source: Brenda Hice
Recipe type: Dessert
- 9 inch pie shell – or make your own single pie shell
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup peanut butter (I like to use ¾ cup peanut butter)
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 heaping tablespoons or cornstarch
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Combine 1 cup powdered sugar and ½ cup peanut butter. Blend until mixture has appearance of biscuit mix (size of small peas) and set aside.
- Combine granulated sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir until well blended.
- Add a little scalded milk to egg yolks and mix well.
- Add this and the rest of the milk to the granulated sugar mixture.
- Cook over hot water (double boiler) until thick (like pudding).
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and butter.
- Stir until butter is melted.
- Sprinkle ¾ cup of powdered sugar/peanut butter mixture over baked pie shell.
- Add cooked mixture.
- Meringue Directions:
- Beat eggs until frothy. Add sugar gradually and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla.
- Add meringue.
- Sprinkle rest of powdered sugar mixture over meringue.
- Bake 325 for 15 minutes or until brown.