Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is a fabulous little grain – which actually is a seed – that is packed with nutrients and is naturally gluten-free. Quinoa is incredibly versatile, absorbing flavors and transforming with the ingredients its cooked with, and acts very similarly to rice. This recipe brings together classic Mexican flavors, like smoked paprika, chili powder and cumin, with fresh, crunchy vegetables for a perfect summer meal.
Be sure to “PIN” this great recipe so you will have it when you are ready to make it. Please follow us on Pinterest and enjoy hundreds of recipes, crafts, party planning ideas, gardening, DIY and more.
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- Juice of ½ a lime
- ½ red bell pepper, julienned
- ½ cup frozen corn, roasted
- 2 spring onions thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2, 4 – 6 oz grilled chicken breasts, thinly sliced (or other grilled protein of your choice – shrimp and steak would both be tasty!)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the frozen corn with 1 teaspoon olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast for 10 – 15 minutes, tossing a few times throughout the cooking process, until the kernels are slightly browned and crispy.
- While the corn is cooking, prepare the quinoa by bringing 1 cup water to boil.
- Add the quinoa, cover and turn down to simmer for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Once the water has been absorbed, remove the quinoa from the heat and let cool, still covered, for another 5 minutes.
- When the quinoa has cooled, fluff it gently with a fork and transfer it to a medium bowl.
- Add the corn, bell peppers, spices and lime juice and toss the ingredients together,
- Top with spring onions and grilled chicken, maybe a dash of hot sauce (if you can handle the extra heat) and serve warm.
Alyssa Rimmer is a gluten-free food blogger who loves experimenting with healthy and whole-food ingredients. Since removing gluten from her diet almost two years ago, Alyssa has truly discovered her passion and embraced her new lifestyle. With her blog, the Queen of Quinoa, Alyssa shares her many gluten-free recipes, many of which are focused on the superfood quinoa, and discusses her journey to living a more fulfilled and healthy life. Many of Alyssa’s recipes are also vegan and vegetarian, as well as refined sugar-free. Whatever your allergy or dietary needs, Alyssa has a treat for you!