Savory Cabbage Soup is absolutely divine! Especially when you are not feeling well or you want something healthy to eat on through out the day that does not have a lot of calories. This soup will smell so good when cooking, it will have your taste buds going crazy. My husband was not sure of he would like this when I told him what I was making for dinner. He was very pleasantly surprised to like it so much. He has already asked me to make it again!
Be sure to “PIN” this great recipe so you will have it when you are ready to make it. Please follow us on Pinterest and enjoy hundreds of recipes, crafts, party planning ideas, gardening, DIY and more.
- ½ cup of cured meat (use bacon, diced ham, turkey sausage, or pancetta)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 whole onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 large carrot
- ½ head of cabbage, sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups (or 1 can) white beans (Northern Italian or Cannelini)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onions, celery, garlic, and carrots in olive oil.
- Once onions are translucent, add your choice of cured meat (If you decide to use bacon, it will need to be added to the vegetables about 2-3 minutes after they have been cooking, so that it can cook to - any other cured meat will already be cooked and can be added after vegetables are cooked through).
- After bacon has cooked for 2-3 minutes, add in cabbage.
- Cook on medium heat in stock pot, stirring constantly.
- Cook until cabbage cooks down and gets soft (If it looks too dry, add more olive oil.)
- It will begin to caramelize, so be sure that you are stirring up all the caramelization from the bottom of the pan.
- Add in the bay leaf, diced tomatoes, white beans, and 32 ounces of broth.
- Bring to a rolling boil and then turn down to simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese and toasted baguettes if desired.