Chicken Pot Pie
Source: Stephanie Ertel
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cooked and cubed (I boil mine for 2 hours in chicken broth and then shred it)
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- ½ cup frozen corn
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- ½ cup diced potatoes
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- In saucepan combine chicken, carrots, peas, corn and potatoes. Add water or chicken broth to cover and boil for 15 mins
- Remove from heat and drain and set aside.
- In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder.
- Slowly stir in milk and chicken broth.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until thick.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place pie crust in pie dish and brush with egg white wash.
- Place the chicken mixture in the in bottom of pie crust.
- Pour hot liquid mixture over.
- Cover with top crust, seal edges and brush with egg white wash.
- Make several small slits in top
- to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 mins or until crust is golden brown and mixture is bubbly.
- Cool for 10 mins before serving.
- (I use a deep pie dish. I also add ½ of cream of chicken soup can to the liquid mixture. If you use a regular pie dish then adding the cream of chicken soup will not fit.)
Thanks Stephanie Ertel for sharing this recipe and photos