Gluten-Free, Casein-Free Grilled Sweet and Sour Chicken is a different take on Sweet and Sour Chicken, perfect for summer grilling! I like to serve this with quinoa or brown rice.
Be sure to “PIN” this great recipe so you will have it when you are ready to make it. Please follow us on Pinterest and enjoy hundreds of recipes, crafts, party planning ideas, gardening, DIY and more.
Gluten-Free, Casein-Free Grilled Sweet and Sour Chicken
Yield 4 -6
A different take on Sweet and Sour Chicken, perfect for summer grilling!
- 2 (15 oz) cans crushed pineapple in its own juice; reserve juice
- 2 cups ketchup, divided equally
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, divided equally
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice, divided equally
- 2 Tbsp grated lemon rind, divided equally
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 Tbsp sweet rice flour
- Drain and reserve (separately) both juices and pineapple from the 2 cans of crushed pineapple.
- Whisk together the 2 cups reserved pineapple juice, 1 cup ketchup, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, and 1 Tbsp grated lemon rind.
- Add the chicken breast halves and marinate in refrigerator for 3 or more hours.
- Place chicken over medium heat on a hot grill and cook for 20-30 minutes, or until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan on stove, prepare the sweet and sour sauce by combining the reserved crushed pineapple, 1 cup ketchup, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 Tbsp grated lemon rind, and 1 Tbsp sweet rice flour.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes until sauce thickens.
- When chicken is almost cooked, pour 1/2 cup of sauce into a small dish and baste chicken while it grills.
- Remove fully cooked chicken breasts from heat and place on serving dish. Pour remaining sauce over chicken.
This recipe is from "Celeste's Best Allergen Free Recipes" cookbook by Celeste Clevenger.
Courses Gluten Free
Gluten Free Desserts: