Crockpot French Onion Soup is so good and I can not believe I have waited so long to make it! I will not make that mistake again. I am one who loves a good bowl of French Onion Soup when I am dining out, especially from LaRosa’s Pizzeria (a local franchise in Cincinnati). I think they have the best, but I may be biased.
So one day I was thinking how could I make the same thing here at home and in my slow cooker. After researching many recipes and making my own adjustments I found the one! If you love French Onion Soup then be sure to try this Crockpot French Onion Soup!
I hope you enjoy this delicious Crockpot French Onion Soup as much as I did. Crockpot French Onion Soup is divine and simple to make! Tastes great and you can add bread and cheese on top if desired.
Crockpot French Onion Soup
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 large yellow onions sliced and separated into rings
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry
- 7 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- french bread optional
- provolone cheese optional
- Heat butter in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat; cook and stir onions until they become translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle onions with sugar; reduce heat to medium.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until onions are soft and browned, at least 30 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir sherry into onion mixture and scrape bottom of pot to dissolve small bits of browned food from the pot.
- Transfer onions into a slow cooker and pour in beef broth.
- Season to taste with sea salt; stir in thyme and bay leaf.
- Cover cooker, set on High, and cook 4 to 6 hours.
- If desired, set on Low and cook 8 to 10 hours.
- About 10 minutes before serving if putting bread and cheese on, set oven rack about 8 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler.
- Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Broil bread slices until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Fill oven-safe soup crocks 3/4 full of onion soup and float a bread slice in each bowl.
- Top with 1 slice of cheese on each soup.
- Place filled bowls onto a baking sheet and broil until cheese topping is lightly browned and bubbling, about 2 minutes.
Savory Cabbage Soup – Healthy Soup
Easy Crockpot Black Bean Soup – Healthy Soup
Chicken and Pumpkin Soup – Healthy Soup
Rotel Taco Soup – Healthy Soup
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.