Crockpot French Onion Soup is so good, and I cannot believe I have waited so long to make it! I will not make that mistake again. I am one who loves a good bowl of French Onion Soup when I am dining out, especially from LaRosa's Pizzeria (a local franchise in Cincinnati). I think they have the best, but I may be biased.
So, one day I was thinking how I could make the same thing here at home and in my slow cooker. After researching many recipes and making my own adjustments I found the one! If you love French Onion Soup, then be sure to try this Crockpot French Onion Soup!
I hope you enjoy this delicious Crockpot French Onion Soup as much as I did. Crockpot French Onion Soup is divine and simple to make! Tastes great and you can add bread and cheese on top if desired.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 large yellow onions sliced and separated into rings
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup cooking sherry
- 7 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- french bread optional
- provolone cheese optional
- Heat butter in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat; cook and stir onions until they become translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle onions with sugar; reduce heat to medium.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until onions are soft and browned, at least 30 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir sherry into onion mixture and scrape bottom of pot to dissolve small bits of browned food from the pot.
- Transfer onions into a slow cooker and pour in beef broth.
- Season to taste with sea salt; stir in thyme and bay leaf.
- Cover cooker, set on High, and cook 4 to 6 hours.
- If desired, set on Low and cook 8 to 10 hours.
- About 10 minutes before serving if putting bread and cheese on, set oven rack about 8 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler.
- Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Broil bread slices until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Fill oven-safe soup crocks ¾ full of onion soup and float a bread slice in each bowl.
- Top with 1 slice of cheese on each soup.
- Place filled bowls onto a baking sheet and broil until cheese topping is lightly browned and bubbling, about 2 minutes.
Savory Cabbage Soup - Healthy Soup
Easy Crockpot Black Bean Soup - Healthy Soup
Chicken and Pumpkin Soup - Healthy Soup
Rotel Taco Soup - Healthy Soup
STOCKPILINGMOMS FAVORITE DESSERTS
Hot Fudge Ice Cream Delight is one of my family favorites!
Death By Chocolate Trifle Dessert is for all our chocolate lovers out there.
Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake only takes 15 minutes to prepare and then throw it in the oven!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites for all the chocolate chip cookie lovers! Who doesn't like a chocolate chip cookie?
Stockpiling Moms can be found in all your favorite places. Hop on over to Instagram and follow the fun. We love posting memes, family fun, travel, and whatever we are feeling that day. Pinterest is also an amazing place to visit Stockpiling Moms. This is where you can pin all your favorite articles from our Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blog.
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.