I don’t know how a “Hummingbird Cake” got it’s name but it is a cake that we have traditionally eaten in our family. It is a southern recipe that many cooks make in three layers with a wonderful cream cheese frosting. My Granny used to bake it in a Bundt pan with a cream cheese frosting.
My Mom could not find my Granny’s original recipe so she researched a couple of Bundt cake versions online and combined them to make this recipe. She often bakes this cake on Christmas Eve. It is delicious! I love to make Homemade Whipped Cream Cheese Icing to go on top!
It is no longer a recipe that I can enjoy now that I am gluten free but I am thinking of trying to make an adaption to it.
Did you know that you can freeze cream cheese? It works great and saves money! I like to purchase cream cheese in bulk on sale and stockpile it for recipes. Check out this post Can You Freeze Cream Cheese to find out how! It is a great money saving tip!
Hummingbird Cake is a family recipe passed down to me. It was one of her favorites to make and tastes amazing! Give it a try!
Hummingbird Cake Recipe
Hummingbird Cake is a family recipe that my Granny passed down to me. It was one of her favorites to make and tastes amazing! Give it a try!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 1 1/4 cups salad oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 can 8 oz. crushed pineapple, with juice
- 2 cups chopped bananas
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Sift together dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Add eggs and oil, stirring with dry ingredients until moistened. (Do not use an electric beater.)
- Stir in vanilla, finely chopped pecans, pineapple and vanilla.
- Spoon batter into a greased and floured Bundt pan.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Invert the cake and remove from the pan. Cool completely.
- Option One: Glaze
- In a small bowl combine 1 Tbsp. melted butter, with 1 cup sifted powdered sugar. Add enough pineapple juice to make glaze of drizzling consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake. Can substitute rum for the pineapple juice.
- Option Two: Traditional Cream Cheese Frosting
- oz. cream cheese, 1 box powdered sugar, 1 stick butter, 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix all together and put on cooled cake.
Dessert Recipes You May Enjoy: