We love this moist and delicious Hummingbird Cake Recipe, I don't know how a Hummingbird Cake got its name, but it is a cake that we have traditionally eaten in our family. It is a southern recipe that many cooks make in three layers with a wonderful cream cheese frosting. My Granny used to bake it in a Bundt pan with a cream cheese frosting.
My Mom could not find my Granny's original recipe, so she researched a couple of Bundt cake versions online and combined them to make this recipe. She often bakes this cake on Christmas Eve. It is delicious! I love to make Homemade Whipped Cream Cheese Icing to go on top!
It is no longer a recipe that I can enjoy now that I am gluten free, but I am thinking of trying to make an adaption to it.
Did you know that you can freeze cream cheese? It works great and saves money! I like to purchase cream cheese in bulk on sale and stockpile it for recipes. Check out this post Can You Freeze Cream Cheese to find out how! It is a great money saving tip!
Hummingbird Cake is a family recipe passed down to me. It was one of her favorites to make and tastes amazing! Give it a try!
Hummingbird Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 1 ¼ cups salad oil
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 can 8 oz. crushed pineapple, with juice
- 2 cups chopped bananas
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Sift together dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Add eggs and oil, stirring with dry ingredients until moistened. (Do not use an electric beater.)
- Stir in vanilla, finely chopped pecans, pineapple and vanilla.
- Spoon batter into a greased and floured Bundt pan.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Invert the cake and remove from the pan. Cool completely.
- Option One: Glaze
- In a small bowl combine 1 Tbsp. melted butter, with 1 cup sifted powdered sugar. Add enough pineapple juice to make glaze of drizzling consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake. Can substitute rum for the pineapple juice.
- Option Two: Traditional Cream Cheese Frosting
- oz. cream cheese, 1 box powdered sugar, 1 stick butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix all together and put on cooled cake.
Dessert Recipes You May Enjoy:
STOCKPILINGMOMS FAVORITE DESSERTS
Hot Fudge Ice Cream Delight is one of my family favorites!
Death By Chocolate Trifle Dessert is for all our chocolate lovers out there.
Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake only takes 15 minutes to prepare and then throw it in the oven!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites for all the chocolate chip cookie lovers! Who doesn't like a chocolate chip cookie?
Stockpiling Moms can be found in all your favorite places. Hop on over to Instagram and follow the fun. We love posting memes, family fun, travel, and whatever we are feeling that day. Pinterest is also an amazing place to visit Stockpiling Moms. This is where you can pin all your favorite articles from our Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blog.