There is nothing better than Homemade Peanut Butter Pie. This is my husbands favorite dessert. You can use a from scratch pie crust or feel free to use a store bought one to save time. When you take a bite of this pie you will understand why it is my hubby's favorite. My Mother In Law makes this every year for the holidays and he counts down each year until he will get to enjoy it.
He is a peanut butter fanatic so this is the perfect pie for him. Making the meringue is always the hardest part to this recipe but worth it trust me. Best of all this recipe is gluten free when you use a gluten free pie crust. Be sure to give this delicious pie recipe a try. You won't be sorry you did.
Peanut Butter Pie
- 9 inch pie shell - or make your own single pie shell
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup peanut butter I like to use ¾ cup peanut butter
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 heaping tablespoons or cornstarch
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Combine 1 cup powdered sugar and ½ cup peanut butter. Blend until mixture has appearance of biscuit mix (size of small peas) and set aside.
- Combine granulated sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir until well blended.
- Add a little scalded milk to egg yolks and mix well.
- Add this and the rest of the milk to the granulated sugar mixture.
- Cook over hot water (double boiler) until thick (like pudding).
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and butter.
- Stir until butter is melted.
- Sprinkle ¾ cup of powdered sugar/peanut butter mixture over baked pie shell.
- Add cooked mixture.
- Beat eggs until frothy. Add sugar gradually and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla.
- Add meringue.
- Sprinkle rest of powdered sugar mixture over meringue.
- Bake 325 for 15 minutes or until brown.