Savory Cabbage Soup is absolutely divine! Especially when you are not feeling well or you want something healthy to eat on through out the day that does not have a lot of calories. This soup will smell so good when cooking, it will have your taste buds going crazy. My husband was not sure of he would like this when I told him what I was making for dinner. He was very pleasantly surprised to like it so much. He has already asked me to make it again!
- ½ cup of cured meat use bacon, diced ham, turkey sausage, or pancetta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 whole onion diced
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 whole large carrot
- ½ head cabbage sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups or 1 can white beans (Northern Italian or Cannelini)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- dash Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onions, celery, garlic, and carrots in olive oil.
- Once onions are translucent, add your choice of cured meat (If you decide to use bacon, it will need to be added to the vegetables about 2-3 minutes after they have been cooking, so that it can cook to - any other cured meat will already be cooked and can be added after vegetables are cooked through).
- After bacon has cooked for 2-3 minutes, add in cabbage.
- Cook on medium heat in stock pot, stirring constantly.
- Cook until cabbage cooks down and gets soft (If it looks too dry, add more olive oil.)
- It will begin to caramelize, so be sure that you are stirring up all the caramelization from the bottom of the pan.
- Add in the bay leaf, diced tomatoes, white beans, and 32 ounces of broth.
- Bring to a rolling boil and then turn down to simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese and toasted baguettes if desired.
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.