Cannellini Beans & Italian Sausage is a hearty dish that is really tasty! This is a very flavorful recipe! If you use dried beans, it is a great way to stretch your family budget.
Cannellini Beans & Italian Sausage
- 2 packages 19 oz. each Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausages
- 2 cups dried cannellini beans
- 10 whole fresh sage leaves separated, & more for garnish
- 1 medium tomato cored and halved
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- ⅔ cup carrots finely chopped
- ⅔ cup celery finely chopped
- ⅛ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 cups crushed canned plum tomatoes
- 1-½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1-½ cups chicken stock
- ⅓ cup Mascarpone cheese* can substitute with cream cheese
- Place the beans in a large bowl with water, using your hand swirl the beans around to rinse them and discard any small stones or beans that look brown.
- Drain the beans in a colander, rinse and refill the bowl with beans and a generous amount of water (at least 2-3 inches above the beans) and let soak overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- Drain the beans, rinse well and place in a Dutch oven or large pot. Add 7 cups water, 5 of the sage leaves, the tomato halves and bring to a boil uncovered over med-high heat.
- Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook uncovered until the beans are tender 1 ½ - 2 hours, be sure to test for doneness.
- Drain and reserve the beans, discard the sage and tomato halves.
- In a large sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, 5 remaining sage leaves, onions, carrots, celery, red pepper flakes and sauté for 8-10 minutes until the ingredients are soft and translucent.
- Stir in the cooked beans and crushed tomatoes. Add the salt, pepper and the chicken stock.
- Stir together and simmer gently, when all ingredients are combined and warmed, stir in the mascarpone cheese until melted and evenly folded into the tomato and bean mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover saucepan to keep warm and turn off heat until ready to serve.
- Cook the sausage by braising or grilling.
- Once the sausages are cooked, transfer them to a cutting board and cut into halves or thirds.
- Transfer the warm beans to individual bowls and arrange sausage pieces on top.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh sage.
Hope your family enjoys this Cannellini Beans & Italian Sausage recipe as much as we do! We enjoy it because it is just something different for our menu plan.
StockpilingMoms Popular Post
STOCKPILINGMOMS FAVORITE DESSERTS
Hot Fudge Ice Cream Delight is one of my family favorites!
Death By Chocolate Trifle Dessert is for all our chocolate lovers out there.
Easy 4th of July Jell-o Cake is also a perfect treat for Memorial and Labor Day!
Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake only takes 15 minutes to prepare and then throw it in the oven!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites for all the chocolate chip cookie lovers! Who doesn't like a chocolate chip cookie?
Stockpiling Moms can be found in all your favorite places! Hop on over to Instagram and follow the fun! We love posting memes, family fun, travel, and whatever we are feeling that day! Pinterest is also an amazing place to visit Stockpiling Moms. This is where you can pin all your favorite articles from our Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blog!
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.