Boiled Peanuts are a southern tradition. You have to give them a try. They are worth the wait. Have you ever given them a try? My friend made these and when I saw the images I knew I had to share this recipe with you. I was thrilled when he agreed.
A true Southern tradition, this recipe and gorgeous images come from my friend Chip. He truly captured the process. I could take a bite right through the screen.
Be sure to give them a try at least once in your life. You aren't living right until you do.
- 2-3 lbs raw peanuts
- 1.5 cups salt
- 1 Large Pot
- Rinse peanuts until water runs clear.
- Add peanuts and salt to a large pot with lots of water and boil forever and a day.
- Keep adding water as they cook.
- It is best to buy your peanuts mid to late summer when they are in season to get them cooked in a reasonable amount of time. For optimal results, buy them when the shells are green-ish.
- You can also cook them in a crockpot on high for 5-7 hours - adding water as necessary.